We often overlook one of the most important organs of our body when it comes to our health: the eye. Making a few key lifestyle changes can help preserve our vision and prevent future blindness.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods such as leafy greens, fish, and citrus fruits that help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Avoid smoking, which can lead to glaucoma and optic nerve damage.
- Take a break from the computer screen by looking 20 feet away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from excessive UV ray exposure.
- Visit an optometrist once a year for an eye examination. Even if you have perfect vision, they can help detect diseases before symptoms arise.
Eyewear Gallery is offering FREE vision screenings every Friday from 2-4 p.m. To make an appointment, call (901) 763-2020 or visit their website.
by Warren Johnson, O.D. and Dr. Do Nguyen, O.D