A great way to enjoy the first greens of spring is to forego a dressing and make a salad with simple, healthy ingredients that celebrate the natural delicious flavors of the season. The trick is to pile it high with enough cohesive flavors and exciting textures so that pouring on a high calorie dressing doesn’t even come to mind.
Baked salmon over a bed of peppery arugula, sprinkled with creamy goat cheese and fresh avocado, topped with a crisp spiralized apple makes for a perfectly balanced combination of both flavor and texture that will change the way you do spring salads.
- 1 salmon filet
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1 golden delicious apple
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 Tbsp goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Season the salmon filet with 1 tsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and parsley. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the salmon is in the oven, spiralize the apples. If you don’t have a spiralizer or similar tool, cut them into thin strips.
- Assemble your salad by plating the arugula.
- Dice your avocado and toss it on the lettuce with crumbled goat cheese.
- When the salmon is done, place it on top of the bed of greens and top it with your spiraled apple.
- Optional: Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp of red wine vinegar.
Margaret Molteni is a runner who moved to Memphis from Nashville to work as a Recreational Therapist, assisting individuals with disabilities. Outside of work, you can find her training for her next marathon, cooking, blogging, and always eating. For more healthy and delicious recipes or all things running, visit Margaret’s site at youngandrungry.com.