It’s the time of year where we’d rather be outside than in the kitchen. This super simple green salad requires under five minutes, while packing plenty of protein and fiber. The nutty, crunchy textures of this carb-free medley are positively addictive. Look for new ways to use the fresh produce from your farmers markets or CSA subscription (in my case, Bring It Food Hub). Spring is about highlighting the ingredient at hand—no frills or sauce necessary!
- 2 handfuls of French green beans, washed and trimmed
- 8 pods fava beans, shelled
- 1/4 cup edamame, shelled
- 1/4 cup green peas
- Truffle or olive oil, to drizzle
- Sea salt and red pepper flakes
Makes 2 servings
1. Bring one medium pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath beside the stove.
2. Add beans and peas to water and blanch for 1-2 minutes until vegetables are bright green. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and add to the ice bath to stop the cooking process.
3. Remove vegetables from the ice bath and plate. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes. Serve alongside…anything!
Cara Greenstein is the creator of Caramelized, a food and lifestyle site recently recognized as Best Blog in Memphis by the Commercial Appeal’s annual Memphis Most awards. A native Memphian who just returned to her roots from Austin, Cara practices public relations at DCA by day and writes recipes and entertainment tips by night. Follow Cara’s adventures on Facebook and Instagram, or read the blog directly at caramelizedblog.com.