For a healthy gourmet breakfast that fits into your fast paced lifestyle, pack in the protein and vegetables. These delicious Mini Frittata Muffins you can eat on your way to work or after a tough morning workout. Make them a night or two before a busy day for a convenient breakfast that will keep you full until lunch. For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon and they will taste (almost) just as good!
- 5 pieces bacon (look for no added sugar)
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup sweet potato (chopped into small pieces)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 8 sticks of asparagus (chopped into small pieces)
- 1/2 cup packed shredded kale
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375F and put a large skillet on the stovetop over medium heat.
2. Cook bacon in the skillet until it is 3/4 of the way done, without it getting crispy.
3. Set bacon aside and remove all but 2 tsp of bacon grease from the pan to cook the veggies.
4. On medium-low heat, add the onion and sweet potato to the pan and allow to cook until the onion is translucent and the sweet potato begins to soften (about 5 minutes).
5. Add the broccoli florets and asparagus. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add kale and continue cooking until it’s wilted (about 1 minute).
7. Place the cooked veggies in a big mixing bowl. Once the bacon has cooled, crumble and stir into the vegetables.
8. Stir in eggs, coconut milk, salt, and black pepper until well combined.
9. Grease a muffin pan with coconut oil or extra bacon fat and pour the mixture into the 12 cups until each is about 3/4 full.
10. Bake for 20 minutes.
Margaret Molteni is a runner who moved to Memphis from Nashville to work as a Recreational Therapist, assisting individuals with disabilities. Outside of work, you can find her training for her next marathon, cooking, blogging, and always eating. For more healthy and delicious recipes or all things running, visit Margaret’s site at youngandrungry.com.