“Calories don’t count over the holidays” is one phrase we will hear — or may say ourselves — this month. While December is typically a time to indulge, we can keep our body balanced by sneaking in some healthy foods. This salad goes above and beyond, loaded with nutrients and flavor—and still some holiday flair. It’s the perfect first course for any holiday meal.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp Dijion mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 bunches of kale (rinsed, dried, stems removed, chopped)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 pomegranate (seeded)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Add the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, cinnamon, Dijon, and salt to a mason jar or bottle. Shake well to combine.
2. Place the chopped kale in a large salad bowl, pour the dressing over, and toss until the greens are coated.
3. Sprinkle the walnuts, pomegranate seeds, and dried cranberries over the top. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to one day.
Andrea LeTard is a personal chef, cooking instructor, and creator of Andrea’s Cooktales, a recipe website and video series where there’s a story behind every recipe. Her recipes are what she calls “next-generation southern” – fun and fundamentally southern with a modern twist using fine, fresh, and unexpected ingredients. She is a regular contributor on Local Memphis Live, her recipes have been featured on The Today Show, and she was chosen as a Top 100 contestant on MasterChef Season 6. Follow Andrea on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or read her blog and watch her video series at http://www.andreascooktales.com.