Shut down the colds and crank up the heat this winter with these exotic soups full of fresh herbs, aromatic spice—and everything nice.
THAI SPICE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and chopped into 2 in cubes)
- Tbsp, 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp,1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups sodium-free chicken stock
- 4 tsp red curry paste
- 1.5 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup unsweetened toasted coconut
- 2 small Thai red chilies (thinly sliced)
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place squash in a bowl and drizzle with 1 Tbsp oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and toss. Bake on a lined baking sheet for 35-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat remaining oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add baked squash mixture, stock, and curry paste. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice and coconut milk. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place the squash mixture in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour soup into a bowl and top with cilantro, toasted coconut, and chili slices.
INDIAN SPICED TOMATO SOUP
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Combine chickpeas and onions in a food processor and process till smooth. Add this mixture to the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season the mixture with cumin, cardamom, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir in stock and tomatoes, then simmer for 5-10 minutes to combine flavors.
- If desired top with greek yogurt and a few fresh basil or mint leaves. Throw in some green pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for crunch.
Lisa Mullin is a Certified Holistic Nutritionist whose passion is helping others eat for optimal health, weight, and wellness. Contact Lisa at email@example.com or Like & Follow her Health and Wellness page on Facebook that shares nutrition, fitness, and health tips, as well as nutritious recipes at Facebook.com/lbmullin1.