With farmer’s market season upon us, now more than ever is the perfect time to create clean, healthy dishes. The abundance of fresh produce makes it easy to eat better. This farmer’s market-inspired quinoa bowl packs in several servings of veggies with a southwestern kick.
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and cut into 0.5 inch cubes)
- 1 green bell pepper (cored and chopped into 0.5 inch pieces)
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper (cored and chopped into 0.5 inch pieces)
- 1 zucchini squash (cut into 0.5 inch cubes)
- 1 red onion (peeled and chopped into 0.5 inch pieces)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 0.5 Tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1–2 Tbsp chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce (minced)
- 1 small lime (zested and juiced)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
1. Heat oven to 400F. Spread the sweet potato, bell pepper, zucchini, onion, and black beans evenly on one large or two small baking sheets. Sprinkle the olive oil, salt, agave nectar, cumin, oregano, and coriander over the top and toss together, coating all the veggies in the oil and spices. Roast for 20–25 minutes, or until veggies are soft and golden.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, chipotle peppers, lime zest, and juice with a dash of salt.
3. To plate, spoon about 0.25 cup of cooked quinoa in 4 shallow bowls, top with the roasted veggies, and finish with a large dollop of the Greek yogurt sauce.
Andrea LeTard is a personal chef, cooking instructor, and creator of Andrea’s Cooktales, a recipe website and video series where there’s a story behind every recipe. Her recipes are what she calls “next-generation southern” – fun and fundamentally southern with a modern twist using fine, fresh, and unexpected ingredients. She is a regular contributor on Local Memphis Live, her recipes have been featured on The Today Show, and she was chosen as a Top 100 contestant on MasterChef Season 6. Follow Andrea on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or read her blog and watch her video series at http://www.andreascooktales.com.