Light eating is extra desirable in hot summer months, and fresh fruit are the perfect go-to for simple yet elegant salads. Watermelon, cantaloupe, and fresh herbs are a perfect combination, making it the ultimate summer salad. The gremolata acts as a light, low-calorie dressing packed with flavor. It’s great for serving poolside or for a picnic at the Levitt Shell.
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup cubed cantaloupe
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup basil – finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint – finely chopped
- 1 lemon – zested and juiced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Parmesan cheese – shaved
1. Mix the greens and arugula together in a large bowl. Top with the watermelon and cantaloupe and sprinkle lightly with salt.
2. Make the gremolata. In a small bowl by mixing together the basil, mint, lemon zest, lemon juice, pepper, and extra-virgin olive oil. Top the salad evenly with the gremolata and shaved parmesan. Drizzle more extra-virgin olive oil over the top, if desired.
Andrea LeTard is a personal chef, cooking instructor, and creator of Andrea’s Cooktales, a recipe website and video series where there’s a story behind every recipe. Her recipes are what she calls “next-generation southern” – fun and fundamentally southern with a modern twist using fine, fresh, and unexpected ingredients. She is a regular contributor on Local Memphis Live, her recipes have been featured on The Today Show, and she was chosen as a Top 100 contestant on MasterChef Season 6. Follow Andrea on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or read her blog and watch her video series at http://www.andreascooktales.com.