In the hot summer months, a refreshing cocktail by the pool is the perfect medicine. This recipe uses the combination of fresh watermelon, strawberries, and basil to create the ultimate fruity summer bliss. Take out the vodka and replace the wine with sparkling water for the perfect mocktail.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry jelly or jam
- 3/4 cup basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup fresh strawberries – chopped
- 1 cup fresh watermelon – cubed
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 bottle Prosecco or sparkling wine
1. In a small saucepan over high heat combine the water, sugar, jelly, and basil. Bring to a boil for 1 minute then take off heat and let cool. When cooled, remove the basil.
2. Add the strawberries and watermelon to a blender. Blend on high until completely liquified. Pour the fruit mixture through a strainer, into a pitcher to remove the pulp. Add about 1/2 cup of the simple syrup from Step 1, the vodka, and the bottle of Prosecco or sparkling wine. Stir to combine.
3. To serve, add ice to 4-6 glasses, pour the mixture, and garnish with a basil leaf.