As the season winds down, savor the rest of summer with these beachside, tropical flavors in this protein-packed salad. Its fruity tangs come from pineapple and mint, and there’s protein thrown in from all directions, making it hearty and lean. This salad is perfect as an easy dinner entrée or quick lunch to prep the night before a busy day.
Makes four salads
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp jerk chicken seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp mint leaves, minced
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple, cubed
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup toasted, salted marcona almonds or macadamia nuts
1. To begin marinating the chicken, prepare a large plastic bag. Add in the balsamic, jerk seasoning, olive oil, lime juice and zest, salt, and chicken tenderloins. Close and coat chicken with the marinade. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
2. When ready to cook, heat grill to high and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Cut into slices or cubes.
3. To prepare the dressing, ready a mason jar or container with a lid. Add in the Greek yogurt, olive oil, pineapple juice, mint, Dijon, and agave. Shake until completely combined.
4. Build the salads individually by plating two cups of greens on each plate, then topping with the grilled chicken, avocado, pineapple, coconut, and nuts. Serve dressing on the side.
Andrea LeTard is a personal chef, cooking instructor, and creator of Andrea’s Cooktales, a recipe website and video series where there’s a story behind every recipe. Her recipes are what she calls “next-generation southern” – fun and fundamentally southern with a modern twist using fine, fresh, and unexpected ingredients. She is a regular contributor on Local Memphis Live, her recipes have been featured on The Today Show, and she was chosen as a Top 100 contestant on MasterChef Season 6. Follow Andrea on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or read her blog and watch her video series at http://www.andreascooktales.com.