As the temperature drops this month, the crisp smell of fall will be in the air. This healthy chicken dish is packed protein and grains with just the right amount of spice to get you in the autumn spirit.
Makes 1 serving
- 6 oz chicken breast
- ½ tsp olive oil
- Sprinkle of kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp minced rosemary
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- ¼ tsp olive oil
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- ½ Tbsp Creamy Dijon mustard
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- Squeeze of orange juice
- ¼ cup barley – cooked
1. Begin by preparing the Brussels sprouts. Preheat oven to 400F. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until crispy.
2. The chicken will cook alongside the Brussels sprouts. Rub chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. To prepare the seasoning, mix together the zest, sugar, garlic rosemary, and cinnamon. Coat the chicken on all sides. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
3. Prepare the salad dressing while the Brussels sprouts and chicken are cooking. Combine the Dijon mustard, olive oil, and orange juice. In a bowl, mix the dressing with the cooked barely and crispy Brussels sprouts. Serve with chicken on top.
Andrea LeTard is a personal chef, cooking instructor, and creator of Andrea’s Cooktales, a recipe website and video series where there’s a story behind every recipe. Her recipes are what she calls “next-generation southern” – fun and fundamentally southern with a modern twist using fine, fresh, and unexpected ingredients. She is a regular contributor on Local Memphis Live, her recipes have been featured on The Today Show, and she was chosen as a Top 100 contestant on MasterChef Season 6. Follow Andrea on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter or read her blog and watch her video series at http://www.andreascooktales.com.