The colon, or gut, is often referred to as the body’s “second brain.” The colon impacts virtually every system in the body. Poor colon health has been linked to fatigue, inflammatory disease, skin conditions, chronic disease, and even mental health issues. Most of the “feel good” hormones are produced in the gut, as well as immunities. Hippocrates warned that “death begins in the colon.” Gut health is the foundation for ageless beauty wellness. Here are the top-10 tips to improve your mind, body, and spirit by keeping your gut in check.
- Take a probiotic to balance your intestinal flora. Look for formulas that include acidophilus, lactobacillus, bulgaricus, and bifidum. Garden of Life and Renew Life brands include these top colon probiotic “bugs,” as well as many more. Also include fermented foods in your diet such as kimchi, kombucha, and low-sugar yogurt.
- Work towards eliminating foods that inflame the gut. Top gut offenders are dairy, corn, wheat, pork, shellfish, white flour, and refined carbohydrates. Substitute stevia or honey for sugar, and use oats, amaranth, or buckwheat in lieu of refined carbohydrates. Fresh fruit makes a great dessert.
- Take a digestive enzyme with your meals. Enzymes ensure that food is broken down properly to better be eliminated from the gut. My favorite enzymes is Bloat X by Nature’s Way or Flatter Me by Hum Nutrition.
- Chew, chew, chew. As simple as this sounds, chewing your food well is one of the best ways to ensure it is properly masticated, or broken down, for better assimilation and elimination.
- Try colon cleansing. Your body is like a living machine, and the machine needs a cleaning from time to time. Colon cleansing, or colonics, can remove three to five natural bowel movements per session and improve colon muscularity with regular use. Aim for three colonics in three weeks, then monthly for maintenance.
- Consume 25-35 grams of fiber per day. Fiber will add bulk to stool, helping it move along and out of the colon properly.
- Hydrate daily. Aim to consume at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Choose filtered or distilled water to avoid chlorine, which can destroy your good flora and throw the gut out of whack.
- Include high-quality oils in your diet. Fiber binds, water hydrates, and oils help things move. Add two teaspoons of cold-pressed, high-quality oils to your diet daily. Stir fry veggies in coconut oil or drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil on your salad.
- Use a foot stool during elimination. Place your feet on a seven- or eight-inch stool to bring proper alignment back to the rectum and ease elimination. We love the Squatty Potty stool you can purchase at Target for $25.
- Exercise. Physical activity helps rev up natural detoxification and get the gut moving. Every day, aim for 30 minutes walking, dancing, rebounding, etc. Movement is a wonderful way to keep the body machine healthy in every way.
Amber Sam Thompson is a I-ACT Certified Colon Hydrotherapist and Owner of Renew Wellness Spa. For more information visit Renewspamemphis.com