There’s no need for meat in these hearty stuffed peppers that are also vegan-optional. Beans, avocado, and peppers are all at the top of the age-defying foods list, and this dish is filled with all three. This is perfect for a Meatless Monday meal and preserves nicely in the fridge for up to four days.
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup sour cream or cashew sour cream
- 1 handful (or to taste) cilantro, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium taco seasoning
- 2 limes – juiced
- 1 ½ cup cooked black rice, brown rice, or quinoa
- 1 can pinto beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 cup pico de gallo, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 4 large yellow, orange, or red bell peppers – halved and seeded
- 2 avocados – sliced
Heat oven to 400F. In a food processor, add the black beans, cream, cilantro, taco seasoning, and lime juice. Roughly puree, then transfer to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat and stir before serving.
In a large bowl, mix together the rice or quinoa, pinto beans, pico, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and oregano. Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking. Fill the peppers evenly with the mixture. Place on a baking sheet, cover with foil and cook 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 10–15 minutes, or until peppers are slightly golden.
Serve over black bean puree. Top with sliced avocados, extra pico de gallo, and cilantro.
By Andrea LeTard
FOOD + WINE PAIRING
Reginelli Recommends 90 + Riesling
“Fragrant aromas of white peach, nectarine, and Bosc pear backed by pastoral scents of hay and straw.” Refreshing and slightly sweet, sip with caution as it goes down ever so smoothly. $12.99