Nothing says spring and like a dish that looks like the season itself. This healthier take on roast chicken was inspired by the beautiful greens and florals of spring. It makes a stunning centerpiece for a dinner party or Easter gathering. This recipe was originally published in Andrea’s Cooktales: A Keepsake Cookbook.
- 4 Tbsps unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsps minced fresh thyme
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Zest of 1 large orange
- ⅓ cup minced fresh dill
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- 2 Tbsps minced parsley
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Orange and lemon slices to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350F. In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic, and thyme, then set aside. In another bowl, mix together the lemon zest, orange zest, dill, chives, and parsley, then set aside.
- Pat chicken breasts dry on all sides using paper towels and place them on a baking sheet with the skin side up. Use your fingers to rub 1 Tbsp of the butter mixture under the skin (without tearing it) and on the top of each breast. Liberally salt and pepper both sides of the chicken. Coat the chicken skin in olive oil, then sprinkle about ¼ of the citrus-herb mixture over the top.
- Bake for about 30–40 minutes, or until the thickest part of the breast reads 165F. Turn your oven setting to broil, and broil the chicken for 3–5 minutes until the tops are crispy. Plate and sprinkle with the remaining citrus-herb mixture. Garnish with orange and lemon slices.
Andrea LeTard is the creator and author of Andrea’s Cooktales, an heirloom cookbook being released Spring 2018. She is also a personal chef, small party caterer, and cooking instructor. Andrea has been featured on Cooking Channel, Today Show, and Local Memphis Live. She was chosen as a Top 100 Contestant on MasterChef Season 6. Her recipes are “next-generation southern”—fun and fundamentally southern with a modern twist. Follow Andrea on Facebook, Instagram (@andreas_cooktales), and her video blog series at Andreascooktales.com.