Buenos noches or buenos nachos—either way these “good nachos” will make the perfect “good night” meal for your Cinco de Mayo celebration. They’re packed with protein, essential vitamins, minerals, and delicious goodness. Substitute ground turkey with flank steak, chicken, or tofu.
1 lb 85/15 ground turkey
1/2 small yellow onion – chopped
1/2 Tbsp onion powder
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp dried parsley
1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup mild salsa
9 oz white corn tortilla chips
9 oz blue corn tortilla chips
9 oz nacho cheese Doritos
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
8 oz can of corn (drained)
1 black beans (8 oz, drained and rinsed)
2 large roma tomatoes – diced
1/4 cup red onions – chopped
1/3 cup reduced sodium sliced black olives
1/3 cup green onions – sliced
1/3 cup queso fresco cheese – crumbled
1 cup cilantro leaves – chopped
1 large jalapeño – sliced, unseeded
2 medium avocados – sliced
Fat-free sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Add the olive oil, yellow onions, and garlic to a pan on medium-high heat. Saute for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Season the ground turkey with salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and dried parsley. Add to the pan cook until the pink is gone. Drain the fat, stir in salsa, and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cover with handfuls of the 3 types of chips and distribute evenly minimize gaps. Layer with 1/2 ground turkey mixture, 1/2 corn, 1/2 black beans, 1/2 red onions, 1/2 shredded Mexican cheese.
- Add another player of chips and repeat, ending with the cheese.
- Bake for 5–7 minutes until cheese is melted or bubbling. Sprinkle with olives, queso fresco, green onion, cilantro, jalapeño, avocado, and sour cream.
Almetria Turner is a Memphis-based wellness coach, celebrity chef, food and fitness blogger, marathoner, certified fitness instructor, RRCA certified running coach and race director, and public speaker. Follow her on Facebook, Instagram @Fitandfinallyfree and her blog at Fitandfinallyfree.com.