Light, chewy, and totally satisfying for a mid-day snack or morning start — say hello to my latest superfood experiment! I’m always inspired by the sugar-free and vegan recipes popping up across my Instagram and Pinterest feeds, and this past weekend, I scoured through my baking shelves to put my superfood and baking ingredients to use.
If you’re hoping this recipe will miraculously taste like pumpkin pie or a Christmas dessert, you will be greatly disappointed. This is healthy, guys! But don’t misinterpret to think these aren’t delicious because they are. And if you need a sweeter bar (which I totally understand), add two tablespoons of honey or maple syrup to this recipe.
The nuts and seeds in this batter will keep you full, and the protein powder will provide extra pep in your step. I also recently learned about Maca powder, which supports stamina and balances hormones, too. Did someone say #superfood?
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw buckwheat groats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons low-fat shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or extract)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon Maca powder
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a small baking dish with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well to combine. Spread mixture into dish, flattening out the top.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until bars are solid. Remove from oven and cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting. Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week!
Cara Greenstein celebrates intentional and exceptional cuisine in her award-winning food and lifestyle blog, Caramelized, which offers recipes and restaurant reviews, food-focused travel itineraries, and endless tablescape tips. Follow @cara_melized on Instagram for daily inspiration and bookmark her recipes at Caramelizedblog.com.