Enjoy this lighter food that’s quick and easy to whip up in warm spring weather. These lettuce cups are made with healthy ingredients and all vegetables used are typically harvested in this area in mid to late spring. These are perfect as a fun appetizer or served with rice for a complete meal.
Total Time: 25 minutes | Serves 4-6
- 1 cup Purple cabbage (sliced and roughly chopped)
- 2 cups Eggplant (peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 3 Scallions (white and green parts thinly sliced)
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb Lean ground turkey
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup Low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Honey
For Serving: Bib lettuce, sesame seeds, scallion greens, and lime wedges
- Mix soy sauce and honey in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add ground turkey and lightly season with salt and pepper. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon and tossing occasionally until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer seasoned turkey to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp olive oil, scallion whites, eggplant, and red cabbage to the skillet. Stir often and cook until softened (a little color is okay), about 7 min. If needed, add additional olive oil.
- Turn off the heat and add the ground turkey back to the skillet and mix with the vegetables. Pour in the reserved soy sauce and honey and mix until well incorporated.
- Serve with bib lettuce, sesame seeds, scallion greens, and fresh lime wedges.
Kristen Rosania is a meal prep chef, recipe developer, and the creator behind @forlemonsake, a social channel showcasing that home-cooked is always best. She believes in cooking real food with real ingredients. For more info visit Forlemonsake.com and follow along on Instagram and Facebook.