By Sharonda Walton, ANP-BC
Plump, pouty lips, high cheekbones, and a suckening jawline have been the rave over the last decade. As influencers grow on various platforms, so has the ease of access to hyaluronic acid fillers. This standard of beauty has also been achievable with fat injections. The issue with some filler injections is that they can easily be overdone or done improperly. The growing trend in the medical aesthetics industry is that less is more, and in the long run, less is at least enough. One thing about a trend, all it takes is for one popular face to start it before the majority is hooked.
From Kylie Jenner to Courteney Cox, more and more celebrities are choosing to dissolve their fillers and publicly speak out about it. With the most recent being urban entertainment star Blac Chyna, who now prefers to be referred to by her government name Angela White, publicly showcasing the undoing of several of her body enhancements from head to toe, more women are following suit. Due to ease of access and affordability, Botox and filler have become extremely popular for women of all ages, not just women over 40. Now, the same women who adored the dramatic look are opting for the opposite.
The need to dissolve filler or remove fat can happen for various reasons, including:
- Filler migration occurring when filler was injected in one area and moved to another
- Too much or the wrong type of filler was injected
- Unqualified injectors due to the popularity of the procedure and lucrativeness
Only fillers made of hyaluronic acid can be dissolved. Fortunately, medical aesthetics pros and trained injectors can offer alternatives that promote the subtle, safe lift or tighten. These options include bio-stimulating products such as Sculptra or PDO threads and skin-tightening treatments like microneedling or Radio Frequency microneedling.
- Sculptra is a popular collagen stimulator that helps produce collagen and repair the underlying structure of the skin by adding fullness to the area.
- The PDO (Polydioxanone) thread lift is a minimally invasive treatment that lifts and tightens sagging skin tissue using threads made of Polydioxanone. The threads are introduced into the deeper layers of the skin by contracting dermal tissue, which stimulates collagen to promote cellular renewal and improve skin texture, lines, and elasticity.
- Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure using thin needles to help reduce the appearance of skin concerns such as acne scars, stretch marks, or wrinkles. Radiofrequency microneedling uses radiofrequency waves to trigger the production of capillaries, elastin, and collagen, improving skin laxity and texture.
I’ve had the pleasure of adding a little more “life” to many faces over the years, including my own. Injectables are safe and, when done in moderation, are perfect for those seeking a bit of enhancement or a clean lift in the face or neck. I enjoy educating and training about various types of injectables and their amazing benefits because I know first-hand. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to enhance your features. In my opinion, moderation, with anything, will always, ALWAYS be key.
Sharonda Walton, ANP-BC, is a board-certified adult nurse practitioner and owner of Royalty Wellness Spa, a full-service medical spa in Memphis, TN. She has been in medical aesthetics since 2017 and has completed advanced training in neurotoxins, dermal fillers, and PDO threads. Contact Royalty Wellness Spa at 901.410.8905 or Royaltywellnessspa.com.