Prep Time: 30 minutes Makes 4-6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (we like EVOO or avocado oil)
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper, cored and finely chopped (or any other bell pepper color)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 15-ounce can pinto or white beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1½ cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: avocado, sour cream, cilantro
Heat a large deep pot on medium heat. Add cooking oil and allow to warm. Then add the chopped onion and 1 tsp salt and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Next, add the bell pepper and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
Then add the spices and tomato paste, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree, diced tomatoes, drained beans, corn, and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil and cook for about 10 minutes, adding more broth if needed, until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
By Erin Dragutsky, MS, RD, LDN