While getting cozy by the fire with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate is nice, hibernating will not burn off those holiday calories! If the idea of exercising outside this season freezes you in your tracks, here are three winter workouts you can do indoors that require very little equipment and no exposure to the elements. Stay warm and shape up!
Master the Stairs
Climbing just eight flights of stairs each day lowers your average early mortality risk by 33%. Literally, all you need for this workout is a flight of stairs and a positive attitude. Rest throughout as needed and complete the entire workout 2–3 times.
- -Run up and walk/run down the flight of stairs 5 times.
- -30 Mountain Climbers on each leg (hands on first step and feet on floor)
- -20 Tricep Dips (hands on second step)
- -Run up and walk/run down stairs 2 times
- -20 Lunges (back leg on second step)
- -12 Push-ups (feet on first step and hands on floor)
- -Run up every second step and walk/run down 2 times.
- -15 Squat Jumps (hop up onto first or second step and step down)
- -30 Seconds of Toe Taps (tapping toes on first step)
This one is for the runners and cardio lovers who want the benefits of running this winter without the frozen fingers. Enjoy this 30 minute HIIT workout.
- -Minute 0:00-2:00 Run on 4.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 2:00-5:00 Run on 5.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 5:00-7:00 Run on 6.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 7:00-8:00 Hop off Treadmill for 12 Push-ups
- -Minute 8:00-11:00 Run on 5.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 11:00-13:00 Run on 5.5 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 13:00-15:00 Hop off Treadmill for 1 Minute Plank and 20 Sit-ups
- -Minute 15:00-19:00 Run on 5.5 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 19:00-21:00 Run on 6.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 21:00-22:00 Run on 4.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 22:00-23:00 Hop off Treadmill for 10 Burpees
- -Minute 23:00-25:00 Run on 5.5 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 25:00-27:00 Run on 6.0 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 27:00-28:00 Run on 6.5 Speed on 1.0 Incline
- -Minute 28:00-30:00 Run on 4.0 Speed with no Incline
No Gym, No Problem
Here is an at-home Circuit Workout you can do with absolutely no equipment. Repeat this circuit 3–4 times and rest throughout as needed.
- 40 Jumping Jacks
- 15 Squats on Toes
- 1 Minute Plank (30 seconds high/30 seconds low)
- 30 Crunches
- 45 Seconds of Mountain Climbers
- 10 Push-ups
- 10 Burpees
Mary-Marsha Riley is a certified personal trainer, attorney, and pageant coach. For more information visit Wellhousefitness.com