Full of fiber and nutrients—this soup is light but filling for chilly fall days. Mushrooms bring that umami flavor that tastes so satisfying when there’s a cold nip in the air.
- 3 1/2 cups (any) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup farro or barley
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly black pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup shredded kale
- Broccoli sprouts for garnish
- In a large pot, saute onions, celery, carrots, and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for about 3–5 minutes until lightly softened.
- Add in farro or barley, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and let it cook for about 45 min to an hour.
- Stir in the kale and cabbage just before serving. Adjust seasoning as needed. Garnish with broccoli sprouts.
Emily Turngren is the owner and chef of emVISION FOODS CO. A fresh, home delivery meal service in the Memphis area. She has been in the food industry for over 20 years as a private chef and cooking instructor. Learn more at emvisionfoods.com. Follow on Instagram @emvision_foods_ co